Don’t tell me you’ve never started the morning with a steaming bowl of oatmeal! If so, you are really missing out. I love and adore oatmeal. Almost every morning for breakfast I have a bowl of plain oatmeal with flaxseed and it will most likely have a few dashes of cinnamon in it… Now I have a confession to make, I will add cinnamon to just about anything: I absolutely love cinnamon! On occasion I enjoy mixing up my morning breakfast by adding warm peanut (or almond) butter, fresh-cut banana, or I’ll make a killer bowl of Carrot Cake Oatmeal! Most of the recipes that I have seen for it have a ton of added sugar, maple syrup and other sweeteners. I prefer to try to keep it a little healthier. I hardly enjoy starting my day with feeling like I just ate dessert. One morning I was in the kitchen and threw this together and loved it! I hope you enjoy this delicious breakfast as much I do!
* 1/2 cup of oats (I use old fashion oats, any kind will work though.)
* 1/2 cup of water or milk or choice (I’ve done 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk before, which is nice. It will just make it a tad bit sweeter.)
* A few dashes of cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon of raisins
* 1/4 cup or more of shredded carrot
* 1/2 teaspoon of flaxseed (optional)
* 1 tablespoon of shaved almonds
* For sweetness you can sprinkle a few teaspoons of brown sugar ontop or add a bit of maple syrup.
It’s super simple. You combine the shredded carrot, flaxseed, raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla all in a saucepan with the milk or water and let it start to bowl. Add the oats and stir it. When the oats are finished cooking put them in your bowl and top it off with some brown sugar or maple syrup and shaved almonds. As my Dad would say “Yummo!” Enjoy your bowl of goodness! Double the recipe and share the goodness with a friend or family member!